My first work trip out EVER is done. I went to St. Petersburg Florida from Wednesday until Sunday. It was amazing! Not only was the weather beautiful but I gained a lot of independence. First off, this is only my second flight in my entire life and my first alone. To say that I've gotten the hang of flying is a bit of a stretch. All and all I navigated threw BWI well, I had no problems checking my bags or at security since I arrived two hours early. My flight down was 2.5 hours and went off without a hitch. I even managed to get myself to the shuttle and to the hotel without a problem.
(Me at Tampa International)
I must say it was amazing to leave the mid 50's here in Maryland and go to the mid 80's with sun.
As soon as I got in I went to the pool. Besides learning at the conference I had one other objective: GET SUN! I'm getting pale, it's almost mid April and I need a tan badly. I even sprang for the $10 tiny bottle of SPF 30 kids sunblock, even with that I could only last 2 hours in the sun.
All and all the conference was amazing, I met alot of nice people and connected with a few people that do the exact same thing that I do. That itself is priceless~! I've learned that I love meeting new people and I can be independent, I even toyed with moving to FL until I realized I'm not ready to be 100% on my own and leave my family states away! I even stayed the weekend as an early birthday gift to myself it was great to spend a day by the pool and get a massage and facial.
Calgon take me away!
I felt like I had so many things that I wanted to blog about however, it all escapes me. All and all I had a great time.
Things I learned while away:
- Always ask the hotel staff- about the area: places to eat, things to do etc. I didn't and therefore spent alot of unneeded money on room service because I didn't know there was a grocery store right behind the hotel.
- Opt for a rental car- the added expense is worth not being stuck in a hotel with no other options but an expensive taxi.
- Bring more then one extra outfit and clothes, you never know when plans change.
- Look into hotel perks, I paid $10 a day for hotel internet when if I signed up for their club (it's free) I would've gotten the internet free.
- If given the option to stay the weekend, do it!
- Make friends, exchange business cards..network, network, network!
- Relax, you're there to learn and in order to take everything you need to take a deep breath and live in the moment (so not like me).
Goodness, no wonder why I'm flying around crazy, I've got so much on my mind.